Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Public Service Announcement....

The saying "Mother knows best" has proven itself true once again. I had a filling fall out a couple of weeks ago and I knew I had to get it taken care of and thanks to the persistant reminder from my mom and dad I got it fixed rather quickly. From that appt I scheduled a: New patient exam, updated x-rays as well as a much needed cleaning. It had been almost 3 years since I've visited the Dentist :( ...my mom and dad kept "reminding" me that they didnt invest thousands of dollars into my teeth growing up for me to ignore them the rest of my life. I agreed and since I had already met my deductible for the year I figured I might as well get the whole meal deal. So this morning I went (mind you, this is a new Dentist here in Orting...I love him...he's super nice, outgoing and gentle!!) Dr. Carl Youngquist if you're interested! So after my x-rays were done he took a look "under the hood". He kept repeating the word, "watches" which he told me were "pre-cavities" and that by flossing daily as well as using a perscription he was going to give me, I had a 70% chance of them going away. Phew.. but unfortunatley, I still had 2 cavities :( the hygenist said that wasnt too bad for not going in almost 3 years but still..I hate getting numb. Next was the cleaning, I got my gums looked at and they checked out great. She did notice a few parts in the back that could be flossed better, which I will definatley be doing now. Basically, the point of this post is to encourage all of you to visit your dentist. As soon as I walked in the door my mom was amazed at how good my teeth looked. I had to agree. I shouldnt have waited so long and in some ways was irresponsible on my part. Life gets in the way, especially with 2 young kids and often times, I forget about my own health. Everything that was brought up today at my appt stemed from not flossing. My Dr. made a good point when he said that "brushing your teeth is only halfway cleaning them" the other half of your teeth need to be cleaned by flossing...makes sense!! And if you're wondering about cost, it only cost me 58.00 out of pocket for all 3 services. To me thats not bad at all..considering what could happen to your teeth and pricetag that comes with having to fix a mouthfull of cavities, a root canal, an absess...$$$$$ Ok thats my PSA for the week!! Give your Dentist a call!!!
Thanks mom and dad for reminding me how important my teeth are!

:)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ya, I go every 6 monthes as recommended... only due to pregnancy its going to be like 8 monthes! But going is sooo worth the investment!!!