Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh the places you'll go:: Safeway?


I dont even know where to begin...

When Jacob woke up this morning. I went downstairs with him and got him some breakfast, turned on some Sesame Street and headed back upstairs because Norah was starting to wake up. I fed her, changed her diaper, got her dressed and went into Jacobs room to get his clothes for the day. As I was coming down the stairs, I noticed that the front door was open. I immediately ran outside where Jacob and our dog Buddy were no where to be found. I didnt know what to do..I just stood there, shocked. I looked down the street to my right and saw nothing. When I looked to the left I saw a neighbor holding Jacob as Buddy was walking next to her. I started walking to her with such a sigh of relief and just stood there speechless. I didnt know what to say. All that came out was "thank you". I can only imagine what she must have though of me. I felt about an inch tall. What mom doesnt notice her son escaping out the front door?? She had told me that she too, also has 2 young children and as she was looking out the window this morning, she saw a little boy running past her house. She also told me he almost made it to SAFEWAY...if you've been to my house you know that Safeway is a good 3 blocks away. But she said at the pace he was running, he was going to be there in no time. She didnt know who Jacob belonged to and so she had to call the police...I dont blame her, a young child roaming the streets with his dog...yeah, I'd be calling the police too. Unfortunatley he wasnt a nice and friendly and the firefighters we had met a few weeks prior. (Yes, there is quite the excitment here in the Fenton household, nope, never a dull moment) the officer asked me what happened, I tried to explain without sounding like the worst mom ever but I had to be honest with him. I told him that I usually lock the dead bolt after my husband goes to work. I also told him that I couldnt find my dog this morning so I check out front to see if he'd somehow gotten out. Except for after opening the door to check, I had forgotten to re-lock the deadbolt. He was like "do you know he was almost to Safeway?..." and nodded and really wanted to explain to him how Jacob is. He is fast, determined and smart as can be. He's not your typical 2 year old Jacob had decided he wanted to go to the store and found a way to do it, unfortunatley he didnt tell me he was doing it..but I just sighed and nodded. Thankfully the officer was just happy Jacob had found his mom and so he got back in his car and left. Lesson learned (again). Stevens going to install yet another lock on the door tonight and I am also going to pick up one of these as well.
No ones getting past this door anymore!!

Thank you Lord for protecting Jacob today, thank you for keeping him on the sidewalk and for providing us with wonderful neighbors who were looking out for him. Dear Lord, please don't let Norah be the same way....
Thank You,
Keren

No more Curious George for Jacob!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son Jaden was just the same way as Jacob sounds. We had to put those chain locks up at the top of the door and make sure they were ALWAYS locked. He would take off out the door while I was in the shower, very scarey! So those chains work very well, just a suggestion. :) Good luck

Michelle said...

Yikes! I'm glad he's fine. FYI- those door knob covers aren't totally kid-proof. Both of my kids can take them off if they're determined enough. What we have on our front & back door is a chain lock up high. That might be helpful to you!

Angela Miller said...

Yikes! That is so scary. I'm glad you have wonderful neighbors :) Definately get a chain lock for up high. It doesn't take much to get those door knob covers off. Jacob would have those figured out in no time.

God Made Playdough said...

Praise the Lord he's safe!!! Our smart, little guy! :) Has your heart started beating normally now?!

Amanda Hug'n Kiss said...

Aiden did that once when he was about 2. But he actually came back and rang our front doorbell.

Stepheni said...

Well I am glad that some one found him before he got to the store... that would have been a big ol' mess! No worries, Keren~ this stuff can happen to any one. I guess when I was the kid's age a passer by knocked on my parents door holding me in only my diaper. I had decided to escape and go and sit in the middle of the busy road.

Stepheni said...

PS... Yah that is totally Curious George too!

Stacy said...

Oh my gosh how scary! I've haven't had a runner (yet! crossing my fingers) so I have no idea what that must have felt like!

Jessica Morrish said...

That same thing happened to a friend of mine, dog and all. Try not to beat yourself up about it. God was looking out for him!